Information For Out-of-State Students

Welcome to Our Global Community of Students

We are pleased you are considering, or have already registered for, an online course, certificate, or degree program at UMass Lowell. We encourage you to learn more about online learning including course formats and the benefits of choosing our nationally recognized, fully accredited, and highly affordable public university. Check out the links below for additional information relevant to out-of-state students and please contact us (details at the bottom of this page) if you have questions.

Institutional Accreditation

Download NECHE Accreditation Letter - (pdf)

Program Licensure

Professional Licensure for Educators

Professional Licensure: Please note that while the SARA agreement enables UMass Lowell to offer courses and programs in member states and territories outside Massachusetts, local state laws and regulations that govern professional licensure in students' home states still apply to any professional licensure course or program offered by UMass Lowell. UMass Lowell confirms that the programs listed below lead to licensure in Massachusetts but cannot confirm whether any of these programs meet the requirements for professional licensure and certification outside of Massachusetts. We recommend you contact your home state's licensing agency to identify and determine licensing and certification requirements.

  • Master's Degree in Education Administration: Principal/Assistant Principal
  • Master's Degree in Reading and Language: Reading Specialist
  • Ed.S. in Administration, Planning and Policy with Principal Licensure
  • Ed.S. in Reading and Language with Teacher of Reading Licensure

The educator licensure oversight agency for the state of Massachusetts is:

Massachusetts Department of Elementary and Secondary Education
Office of Educator Licensure
75 Pleasant Street
Malden, MA 02148
Fax: 781-338-3391

Professional Licensure for Nurses

At this time, the Master of Science in Nursing accepts students from the New England states of Maine, Massachusetts and New Hampshire. UMass Lowell cannot confirm whether this program meets the educational, licensing, or certification requirements for states outside of New England. We recommend contacting your home state's licensing agency to identify and determine licensing and certification requirements in your state.

If you would like to talk with one of our admissions officers about program licensure, direct your questions to and we'll connect you with the appropriate coordinator for your program.

Student Grievances/Complaints

Step 1: All students should follow the UMass Lowell Institutional Complaint Process

For non-academic complaints: If you have a non-academic complaint that you would like to bring to our attention, please fill out this form and provide us with a brief description of the issue.

Step 2: Unresolved Complaints

A. Out-of-State Students

Out-of-state students residing in NC-SARA (National Council for State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement) states — which include all states except California — whose complaints are not resolved through the UMass Lowell Institutional Complaint Process can submit complaints to the Massachusetts Department of Higher Education through the SARA Student Complaint Form.

For more information, contact:

  • Tiamekia Johnson, Paralegal and Regulatory Affairs Specialist
    Massachusetts Department of Higher Education
    One Ashburton Place, Room 1401
    Boston, MA 02108
B. Massachusetts Residents and Online Students in Non-SARA States and Territories:

If you have a complaint or concern that has not been resolved by UMass Lowell, you may file a general complaint with the Massachusetts Department of Higher Education (DHE) by using the general complaint form. The DHE general complaint form should be used by students who are located in:

  • Massachusetts
  • Non-SARA Member States or Territories (e.g., California, Guam, etc.)

Student Records

Download Student Records Letter - PDF

Tuition and Fees, and Tuition Refunds

Please review our tuition and fees policy.

Student Information Letter/Letter for Online Learning

Download Online Learning Letter - PDF


The University of Massachusetts Lowell is an approved institution of the State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement (SARA), which is a voluntary agreement that establishes comparable national standards for postsecondary distance-education courses and programs.

This means students from all 49 participating SARA states can be accepted to and enrolled in UMass Lowell's online classes and programs.

For more information about SARA and participating SARA states and institutions, please visit the SARA website.