Academic Policies - Transfer Student Information

Transfer Dictionary

UMass Lowell maintains a comprehensive transfer dictionary database of credit course equivalents from other institutions of higher education. Prospective transfer students can use this tool to get an idea of which of their prior courses and credits will be transferable into their program of study at UMass Lowell. Please note, this lookup tool does not serve as an official transfer credit evaluation. Once we have received your degree application and official transcripts, and if you are accepted into the program, our admissions staff will send you an official Transfer Credit Summary and an Advisement Report. These reports will show you which of your courses transferred, where they fit into your program of study and what courses still need to be taken. Not all courses accepted for transfer will necessarily fulfill your major requirements. If you have any questions, please email us at or call us at (978) 934-2474.

Use The Transfer Dictionary

[Back to Academic Policies & Procedures Menu]

Transfer Student Information

Students may transfer academic credit completed at other accredited institutions of higher education toward an undergraduate certificate, associate's degree, or bachelor's degree. Note: Only one course may be transferred into each undergraduate level certificate program. Official transcripts must be sent to UMass Lowell's Office of Admissions.

Credit will be accepted if it is equivalent to University of Massachusetts Lowell instruction, if it is applicable to the intended program, and if the student has received a grade equivalent to a C- (1.7 on a 4.0 scale) or better, as shown on official transcripts of record which are received directly from other accredited institutions. An applicant who has attended one or more institutions must request each Registrar to mail directly to the University of Massachusetts Lowell a transcript of his or her record even though credits were not earned or presented for transfer. No credit will be recognized for the grade of P unless the catalog of the transferring institution specifically states that P is equivalent to a final course grade of C- (1.7 on a 4.0 scale). Quarter credits are recognized on a pro-rated basis of three quarter credits to two semester credits.

Grades of transferred courses will be recorded with the notation CR, which designates that credit has been granted and will not be computed into a student's cumulative grade-point average at the University of Massachusetts Lowell. Please note that all credits to be transferred must be identified at the time of application for transfer. The University reserves the right to deny credit for course work taken by the student prior to admission if it is identified and presented after transfer. Residency requirements are also considered when transfer credit is being evaluated.

University Restrictions Concerning Transfer Credit Recognition
Courses completed at non-public institutions that are not accredited by the major regional accrediting associations will not be credited to degree programs of the University; nor will credit be granted for courses that are unacceptable to the transfer institution for its own associate's or bachelor's programs or that are completed within post-secondary school diploma programs. Noncredit CEU courses, adult enrichment or refresher courses, and secondary school correspondence and home study courses also are not recognized for transfer credit. The University reserves the right to refuse recognition for courses that were taken more than ten years prior to the date when a student applies for transfer when, in the opinion of Department Chairpersons and Program Coordinators, the knowledge attained in such courses is deemed to be out of date and/or in need of verification. Competencies that a student has achieved through such courses, or by any other means, may be recognized for credit if verified by CLEP or departmental examinations.

The Commonwealth Transfer Compact
The University of Massachusetts Lowell has affirmed its intention to maintain flexibility in the transfer of qualified students from community colleges of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. For the implementation of this objective, the University of Massachusetts Lowell has subscribed to the Commonwealth Transfer Compact.

All courses which have been accepted by the University from signatory community colleges of the Commonwealth Transfer Compact are listed on the student's transcript; and those courses that are not applicable to specific curriculum requirements are credited, whenever possible, as unrestricted elective courses. Since some curricula of the University do not provide for such unrestricted elective courses, or the number of transferred courses may exceed the number of unrestricted elective courses which are permitted within the specifications for minimum degree requirements, transferred courses which are not applicable to the specific requirements of a curriculum are not counted in the determination of the number of course credits completed until the semester of graduation. This procedure prevents the early imposition of a grade point requirement for retention which is in excess of that specified for the number of credits completed and applicable to the student's particular curriculum.

The revised Commonwealth Transfer Compact (1990) provides a process to facilitate the transfer of collegiate credits and to ensure the appropriate recognition of academic progress earned by students at a community college who wish to continue their education at a public college or university.

For Students Transferring from Massachusetts Community Colleges to Public Colleges and Universities Offering the Baccalaureate Degree

Section I: Requirement for Transfer Compact Status
A student shall be eligible for Transfer Compact status if he or she has met the following requirements:

a. Completed an associate's degree with a minimum of 60 credit hours exclusive of developmental course work;

b. Achieved a cumulative grade-point average of not less than 2.0 (in a 4.0 system) at the community college awarding the degree; and

c. Completed the following minimum general education core, exclusive of developmental course work:

English Composition/Writing - 6cr
Behavioral and Social Sciences - 9cr
Humanities and Fine Arts - 9cr
Natural or Physical Science - 8cr
Mathematics - 3cr

The sending institution is responsible for identifying the transcript of each student who is a candidate for transfer under this compact.

Section II: Credits to be Transferred
The 35 credits in general education specified in Section I will be applied toward the fulfillment of the receiving institution's General Education requirements.

A minimum of 25 additional credits will be accepted as transfer credits by the receiving institution. These credits may be transferred 1) as free electives, 2) toward the receiving institution's additional General Education requirements, 3) toward the student's major, or 4) as any combination as the receiving institution deems appropriate.

Only college-level course credits consistent with the standards set forth in the Undergraduate Experience recommendations are included under this Compact. Credits awarded by the sending institution through CLEP, challenge examinations, and other life-experience evaluations for course credit may be included when the community college certifies that a student qualifies under this Compact.

Section III: Credits Beyond the Associate's Degree
To complete the baccalaureate degree, a student who transfers under this Compact may be required to take no more than 68 additional credits unless:

a. The student changes his or her program upon entering the receiving institution; or

b. The combination of additional General Education requirements, if any, and the requirements of the student's major at the receiving institution total more than 68 credits.

Under these circumstances, transfer students will be subject to the same requirements as native students. The term "native student" refers to students who began their undergraduate education at the baccalaureate institution.

[Back to Top]