Earn Your Health Informatics Certificate Online and Take the Next Step in Your Career
Get up to speed on the latest technological advancements in the realm of health care data management and learn how to utilize clinical data to improve decision making with UMass Lowell's Graduate Certificate in Health Informatics. This four-course program — which is available 100% online — provides a solid foundation of knowledge related to data analysis; health care IT; and electronic methods of organizing, storing and exchanging patient data.
In recognition of the ever-evolving nature of technology, UMass Lowell's health informatics online courses accentuate the technical aspects of health data management, analysis, access, exchange, storage and retrieval in accordance with current state and federal regulations, corporate compliance data integrity, and meaningful use standards.
"Employment of medical records and health information technicians is projected to grow 11 percent from 2018 to 2028, much faster than the average for all occupations. The demand for health services is expected to increase as the population ages."
Gain Knowledge That Is in High Demand
The demand is high for health information professionals who possess a valuable blend of health care experience and information technology knowledge at hospitals, public health organizations, long-term and memory care facilities, medical centers, and other institutions that involve health care.
One Success Leads to Another
Apply credits from lower credentials to higher ones. Our programs are designed to build upon themselves:
- Required Courses: 2
- Electives: 2
Required Courses (2 / 6cr)
- PUBH.5310 Health Informatics - Available Fall 2023!
- PUBH.6070 Healthcare Information Systems - Available Fall 2023!
Electives (Choose 2 / 6cr)
- PUBH.5060 Quantitative Methods in Health Management - Available Fall 2023!
- PUBH.5150 Applied Health Economics
- PUBH.5315 Classification Systems and Reimbursement
- PUBH.5600 Data Applications for Public Health Practice - Available Fall 2023!
- PUBH.5750 Epidemiology and Biostatistics - Available Fall 2023!
- PUBH.5770 Biostatistics for Health Data
- PUBH.6160 Law and Ethics in Healthcare - Available Fall 2023!
- PUBH.6240 Health Data Quality and Compliance
- PUBH.6270 Health Equity and Informatics
- PUBH.6320 Health Information System Design and Analysis
- PUBH.6330 Healthcare Database Design
- PUBH.6350 Healthcare Project Management - Available Fall 2023!
- PUBH.6380 Health Information Technology Strategic Planning (Health Information Technology) - Available Fall 2023!
- PUBH.6390 Electronic Health Record Systems - Available Fall 2023!
CSCE Graduate Restrictions
CSCE Graduate Restrictions
CSCE Graduate Restrictions
Graduate Certificate Requirements
Students enrolled in graduate certificate programs through UMass Lowell must complete all courses indicated in the curriculum outline. Students may complete the certificate program at their own pace by registering for and successfully completing one or more courses each semester, depending upon his/her personal time constraints. Students are required to maintain a minimum grade point average of 3.000 with no more than one course grade below B to receive the certificate.
Online courses meet throughout the year during the Fall, Spring and Summer semesters (see Calendar for details). Online students generally log into their online course website one or more times per week to retrieve lectures and assignments or to participate in a chat session. Online students should expect to spend 6 to 10 hours per week engaged in course-related activities for each course. For more information on online courses, visit our online program home page .
Completing a Graduate Certificate Program
Graduate certificate courses must be completed within a five-year period with a minimum 3.000 grade point average and no more than one course with a grade below B. Once all courses for a graduate certificate have been completed, students must complete and submit the Graduate Certificate Clearance Form. Students must submit their clearance form to their coordinator. The coordinator will apply them in SIS, Graduation Tracking.
Tuition & Fees
Tuition at UMass Lowell is typically half the cost of private colleges, and our online tuition is among the lowest in the nation. Tuition for online programs offered through the Division of Graduate, Online & Professional Studies is the same whether you live in-state, out-of-state or outside of the U.S.
Summer 2023 Tuition
|Cost Per Credit||Cost Per 3-Credit Course*|
|Online IT and Engineering***||$600||$1,800|
|Online Education for Ed.D. and Ph.D.†||$495||$1,485|
|On Campus||View Here||View Here|
|Term Registration Fee||$30|
|Graduate Degree and Certificate Application||$50|
Please note: Tuition and fees are subject to change.
Estimate the cost of this program with our online tuition calculator
Looking for Financial Assistance?
For Graduate Certificate Programs, Please Submit:
- An application
- An application fee*
- An official transcript indicating a completed bachelor's degree. International transcripts require a foreign credential evaluation from an agency such as CED: Center for Educational Documentation, Inc., ECE: Educational Credential Evaluators®, or WES: World Education Services.
- For students from countries where English is NOT the national language, an English test is required: we accept TOEFL: minimum is 79, iELTS: minimum is 6.5 and duolingo: minimum is 105.
- Professional resume
- No Graduate Record Exam (GRE) is required for graduate certificate programs
Applications can be completed and submitted at any time during the year. Your application will be processed as soon as all admission materials have been received. You may apply to more than one certificate program but can only take 12 credits maximum before enrolling in an advanced degree. Learn more about specific application requirements for your program of interest.
Count Your Graduate Certificate Toward a Master's Degree
Credits earned from a graduate certificate may be used toward a related graduate degree.
Graduate Program Admissions Requirements
Admission to all graduate programs at UMass Lowell is contingent upon successful completion of a bachelor's degree. In many cases, applicants may register for a course before formally applying to the program; however, students requiring financial aid may want to wait until they have been formally accepted into the program to ensure that their course(s) will be covered. Contact UMass Lowell's Office of Graduate Admissions if you have questions about the application process.
Questions Regarding Your Graduate Application?
Email Graduate_Admissions@uml.edu or call 800-656-4723 (for U.S. students) or 978-934-2390 (for international students).
For General Assistance:
For general questions about registering for courses or to find out who the advisor is for your graduate program, call 800-480-3190. Our admissions and advising teams are here to help!