Online Graduate Certificate in Health Service Management
Learn the structure and operational processes of health care institutions and build a solid foundation in health care financial reporting and analysis with UMass Lowell's Graduate Certificate in Health Service Management.
This four-course program provides insight into the unique roles of management, clinical staff, support personnel and human resources in a variety of health care settings. Courses cover the latest health care regulations, laws, policies and technologies, operations analysis, financial management practices and provider payment structures, leadership styles, organizational culture, change management, workflow processes and patient safety.
"Employment of health care managers is projected to grow 18 percent from 2018 to 2028, much faster than the average for all occupations."
One Success Leads to Another
Apply credits from lower credentials to higher ones. Our programs are designed to build upon themselves:
- Required Courses: 2
- Electives: 2
Required Courses (2 / 6cr)
- PUBH.5110 Health Care Finance - Available Fall 2023!
- PUBH.5140 Healthcare Management - Available Fall 2023!
Electives (Choose 2 / 6cr)
- PUBH.5010 Social and Behavioral Determinants of Health - Available Fall 2023!
- PUBH.5020 Organizational Behavior in Health Care - Available Fall 2023!
- PUBH.5021 Public Health Policy
- PUBH.5060 Quantitative Methods in Health Management - Available Fall 2023!
- PUBH.5061 Environmental Health
- PUBH.5070 Leadership and Management in Public Health
- PUBH.5120 Operations Analysis for Quality Improvement - Available Fall 2023!
- PUBH.5150 Applied Health Economics
- PUBH.5270 Business Strategies for Health Organizations
- PUBH.5310 Health Informatics - Available Fall 2023!
- PUBH.5600 Data Applications for Public Health Practice - Available Fall 2023!
- PUBH.6070 Healthcare Information Systems - Available Fall 2023!
- PUBH.6160 Law and Ethics in Healthcare - Available Fall 2023!
- PUBH.6240 Health Data Quality and Compliance
- PUBH.6250 Health Policy
- PUBH.6270 Health Equity and Informatics
- PUBH.6350 Healthcare Project Management - Available Fall 2023!
- PUBH.6380 Health Information Technology Strategic Planning (Health Information Technology) - Available Fall 2023!
- PUBH.6390 Electronic Health Record Systems - Available Fall 2023!
CSCE Graduate Restrictions
Graduate level or permission
CSCE Graduate Restrictions
Graduate Certificate Requirements
Students enrolled in graduate certificate programs through UMass Lowell must complete all courses indicated in the curriculum outline. Students may complete the certificate program at their own pace by registering for and successfully completing one or more courses each semester, depending upon his/her personal time constraints. Students are required to maintain a minimum grade point average of 3.000 with no more than one course grade below B to receive the certificate.
Online courses meet throughout the year during the Fall, Spring and Summer semesters (see Calendar for details). Online students generally log into their online course website one or more times per week to retrieve lectures and assignments or to participate in a chat session. Online students should expect to spend 6 to 10 hours per week engaged in course-related activities for each course. For more information on online courses, visit our online program home page .
Completing a Graduate Certificate Program
Graduate certificate courses must be completed within a five-year period with a minimum 3.000 grade point average and no more than one course with a grade below B. Once all courses for a graduate certificate have been completed, students must complete and submit the Graduate Certificate Clearance Form. Students must submit their clearance form to their coordinator. The coordinator will apply them in SIS, Graduation Tracking.
Tuition & Fees
Tuition at UMass Lowell is typically half the cost of private colleges, and our online tuition is among the lowest in the nation. Tuition for online programs offered through the Division of Graduate, Online & Professional Studies is the same whether you live in-state, out-of-state or outside of the U.S.
Summer 2023 Tuition
|Cost Per Credit||Cost Per 3-Credit Course*|
|Online IT and Engineering***||$600||$1,800|
|Online Education for Ed.D. and Ph.D.†||$495||$1,485|
|On Campus||View Here||View Here|
|Term Registration Fee||$30|
|Graduate Degree and Certificate Application||$50|
Please note: Tuition and fees are subject to change.
Estimate the cost of this program with our online tuition calculator
Looking for Financial Assistance?
For Graduate Certificate Programs, Please Submit:
- An application
- An application fee*
- An official transcript indicating a completed bachelor's degree. International transcripts require a foreign credential evaluation from an agency such as CED: Center for Educational Documentation, Inc., ECE: Educational Credential Evaluators®, or WES: World Education Services.
- For students from countries where English is NOT the national language, an English test is required: we accept TOEFL: minimum is 79, iELTS: minimum is 6.5 and duolingo: minimum is 105.
- Professional resume
- No Graduate Record Exam (GRE) is required for graduate certificate programs
Applications can be completed and submitted at any time during the year. Your application will be processed as soon as all admission materials have been received. You may apply to more than one certificate program but can only take 12 credits maximum before enrolling in an advanced degree. Learn more about specific application requirements for your program of interest.
Count Your Graduate Certificate Toward a Master's Degree
Credits earned from a graduate certificate may be used toward a related graduate degree.
Graduate Program Admissions Requirements
Admission to all graduate programs at UMass Lowell is contingent upon successful completion of a bachelor's degree. In many cases, applicants may register for a course before formally applying to the program; however, students requiring financial aid may want to wait until they have been formally accepted into the program to ensure that their course(s) will be covered. Contact UMass Lowell's Office of Graduate Admissions if you have questions about the application process.
Questions Regarding Your Graduate Application?
Email Graduate_Admissions@uml.edu or call 800-656-4723 (for U.S. students) or 978-934-2390 (for international students).
For General Assistance:
For general questions about registering for courses or to find out who the advisor is for your graduate program, call 800-480-3190. Our admissions and advising teams are here to help!